Monday, April 16, 2018

My very own Cherry Blossom


             
  












        


         No, No, I am not talking about the famous Cherry Blossom or sakura of Japan. I am talking about Cherry Blossom in India.  Then I must be dreaming.
     No, I am not.
         The Japanese Cherry Blossom is connected to the Buddhist themes of mortality, mindfulness and living in the present. The cherry blossom reminds us, to pay attention. 
          Travelling to work daily through the same route, seeing the same scenes, knowing on which turn, which cart will cross me. The hurdles in my path are the forever going on repairing, construction work of roads, over bridges. I enjoy this daily routine of travelling to work, to and fro through the same road. Though many people may find this monotonous, but not me. The road through which I travel has still got some green patches of trees left.
          Gulmohar is so rightly called as the Flame of the forest. But here it will have to survive in a forest of concrete. The vibrant tree adapts itself so well even in poor conditions, to endure and delight people with its bountiful beauty. Come summers, the roadside and colony areas become green with the delicate, fern like leaves of the Gulmohar. Filigree patterned, completely covered canopy of light and dark green shades of leaves, dancing with excitement and playing with the sunlight, happy that summer is here.
          The next week I find these pretty delicate looking Gulmohars which are in fact the strongest to brave the scorching heat, the wrath of the summer sun, have sprouted numerous buds, just as if waiting for a cue, for the sun to get even mercilessly hot.
Oh! I tell you, how they love the summer sun.
          In just a couple of days, what do I find? The green canopy of leaves is overshadowed by the bright red, few whitish petals and the happy, gleeful Gulmohar is in full bloom ! Magical, mesmerizing. And it’s the same with every Gulmohar tree. I get to see so many shades of red and orange. There can certainly be no painter in the world like the Creator.
          During my early morning ride to work, when the roads have not yet been tread upon or seen the continuous onslaught of vehicles, I may be the first few to drive on this path. The lanes are transformed. I get the feeling that I am a Princess, going in her carriage and the boulevard is strewn with the enchanting glorious Gulmohars. Their distinct, tangy scent filling the morning air. The flowers falling down with a slight breeze, as if waiting to shower me with their love and captivating beauty.
         I look forward to my ride to work every day to become a Princess and enjoy my very own sakura. Come summers, the Gulmohars wait anxiously to bloom. Come summers I wait anxiously to enjoy my very own Cherry Blossom. Reminding me to be mindful, to live in the present moment, to pay attention. To be grateful for this beautiful, fleeting life and be amazed at the beauty of Nature.
          One of these days, I am going to go to a park which has a huge Gulmohar tree and lie down under it and let the flowers keep falling on me. Will enjoy its enchanting beauty and let Kishore Kumar croon for me in the song from the movie Devata.
                   Gulmohar gar tumhara naam hota…..
                   Mausam-e-gul ko hasaana bhi, hamara kaam hota.
          Should I change my name to Gulmohar?
Happy summers !
Happy my very own Gulmohar (Cherry) Blossom !
                                                                                           


4 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written. Awareness of your surrounding combined with two factors living in the moment and enjoying what nature dishes out at you is visible in the article. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Pa.
      There is so much to learn from you. I am grateful for your presence in my life and being there for me always.

      Delete
  2. The write up is as lovely as the Gulmohar is!what a wonderful way of reminding to live every moment in awareness,with positivity n being thankful to the Creator.Kudos to you for the wonderful write up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Surabhi for your encouraging words. Indeed, there is so much to be thankful to the Almighty!

    ReplyDelete